Friday 21 October 2011

Dating Options: The Nigerian Factor



Okay, so we all know that 
being single in our culture 
after a certain age is like
 driving around in a car
 with a manual transmission
 and no air-conditioning
 …yep not life threatening
 but frustrating as heck
and sometimes disheartening.
 Finding the right partner 
is certainly not an easy 
road to navigate, however,
 I feel like the level of difficulty
 is increased exponentially
 in Nigeria.
Prior to moving back
 to Nigeria, I had heard 
all these amazing stories 
about how people moved 
back and got married 
within 6 months and so on. One story in particular stuck in my mind. This girl, was just
 hanging outside her house when her neighbour came by to say hi with a friend of his. 
I imagine megawatts of “thunder and lightning” must have occurred, because after dating 
said friend seriously (I mean seeing each other everyday and all the other typical 
aspects of being in a relationship) for 6 months, he proposed and the rest as they say 
is history – introduction, engagement, wedding and the whole nine yards.
I repeated this story and many others to my wide network of girlfriends and we 
did a lot of oohing andaahing over how romantic these stories were, oh, I forgot to
 mention that this was during the “innovative” period of wedding websites.
 I can’t tell you how many hours I spent going to these sites and looking at all
 the lovely pictures and reading the various “how we met” stories. I was definitely
 an old school romantic … sigh.
So of course my girls and I would go on about how lucky women at home 
were with so many “hot” Nigerian men to choose from…right … WRONG!
What people forget to mention is that sure there are men a dime a
 dozen, however how many of them areELIGIBLE?
Okay so let’s get some definitions going …

No comments: