Saturday 3 March 2012

Cruz: Extraordinary model

image

















Adedamola Adebowale, also known as Cruz, tells the story of his entry into the heady world of modelling, it’s 
almost as if he puts in no effort. “I was hanging out with my friend, Dan, when his elder brother, Andrew Ogbeche, Nigeria Super Model 2008,he saw me and asked if I was a model, and that if I wasn’t, I should be, and that was how it all began,” said Cruz.
While this answer gives the impression that Cruz didn’t even have modelling aspirations in the first place, Saturday Mirror’s further probing of the full details surrounding the start of his modelling career elicited more information.
“Actually, when he asked if I was a model, my response was that I wasn’t but I was aspiring to be. So when he heard that, he taught me how to catwalk for just 45 minutes and I’ve not looked back since then.”
Cruz’s revelation that he learnt to catwalk in just 45 minutes lends credence to the claim in some quarters that it’s easy to learn to be a model.
Cruz refutes that school of thought, however. “Learning to be a model is just as difficult as, if not more difficult than several other professions. I could learn to catwalk in just three-quarters of an hour because I already had passion for fashion modelling and I had been researching on it and practicing it before Ogbeche scouted me.”
His chance meeting with Ogbeche wasn’t in vain, though. Immediately both of them agreed on pushing Cruz’s modelling career, it took off on a positive note.
“Since Ogbeche came into my life, it’s been one fashion show after the other,” admitted Cruz. “The first job I went for was the screening of ThisDay Music and Fashion Festival 2008 and I was one the 25 boys that wore Ozwald Boateng and Chris Aire.
“More jobs came my way. They are so many but some of the top ones are Sleek Symphony of Style 2008, Linda Ikeji’s Style Night 2008, 2009 and 2010, Arise Fashion Week 2010, Australian Lace Fashion Week 2010, Lagos Style Week 2010, MTN Fashion Week 2011 and many, many more that I can’t recall.”
All these jobs he’s done and continuing have made Cruz start referring to himself as “one of Nigeria’s top male models.”
Without caring if it would seem as if he is blowing his own trumpet, he said, “I truly am. I’m very popular when it comes to Nigeria fashion business. I have a huge fan base on Facebook where my jobs are posted and updated constantly and people keep commending them.”
As he soared higher in the Nigeria fashion industry, he also became sought after outside Nigeria. “I’ve also modelled at fashion shows in Ghana, Benin Republic and Dubai,” he disclosed.
With all the experience he had garnered at home and abroad, Cruz embarked on a mission that has turned out to be the highlight of his career till date.
“In December 2011, the Best Model of the World competition held in Istanbul, Turkey. I sponsored myself to represent Nigeria and I’m happy that I didn’t waste my time and money doing so. I didn’t emerge as the Best World Model but I was chosen as the Best African Model, Best Designer Costume, Stylish Guy of the Competition and Best Wardrobe.”
Explaining the awards, he said, “Best African Model means I’m the best model in Africa. Best Designer Costume means one of my costumes was the best designed. Stylish Guy of the competition simply means that I was the most stylish male at the competition. Best Wardrobe is that my costumes overall were the best.”
Needless to say, all these awards won at an esteemed international modelling competition at one go is no mean feat for Cruz. Definitely, they should have impacted his career further, and Saturday Mirror asked him if they indeed have.
“Oh yes,” he gushed in confirmation. “The Best Africa Model award has opened so many doors for me as designers all over the world want to work with me. All the awards have brought more opportunities my way for me to showcase my modelling talent.”
One of such opportunities is his home state, Ondo, appointing him as fashion ambassador of the state. “I’m so happy about that,” he gushed again. “It’s already a done deal. And it’s in line with my dreams as a model and entrepreneur.
“I don’t intend to be just a model. I’m also going to be a big player in the entrepreneurial aspect of modelling and my role as Ondo State fashion ambassador will help me enormously to help other models. For instance, I’m going to organise three fashion shows, two in Lagos and one in Ondo State, so you can imagine how many models I’ll be able to project.

No comments: