Wednesday 5 September 2012

AN EXCLUSIVE WITH DJINEE!



                     Remember that Soundcity VeeJay that seems to always have too much
                               *Ororo* on his lips whenever he comes on TV to entertain us? Oh yes..
                       DJINEE! Bad guy that made my Ex think she could sing (chick was always
                                 singing ‘Ego’ off-key in the bathroom and all). That track was and
                           still is very infectious. I need not mention the monster hit –
                      Overkillin that had the Choc boiz blaze the track with their dope
                      lyrics
                                        DJINEE (real name Osayamen Nosa Donald), who  is
                                   obviously one amongst a few good Nigerian acts who know their onions.
                                        He has a hit album to his name, and several notable awards to his
                                           credits and I made him answer one question that has always been on my
                                                    mind for a long time..
                                                              Enjoy:

                                           Did Ego really exist or it was just some random name you chose for
                                                your hit single (which I still listen to by the way)?

                                          *Laughs* Thanks for keeping the song alive. Ego was a figment of my
                                           imagination. I’m a writer. I create character and give life to them.
                                            Give them a story. But to do, that I take elements of people’s
                                                 experiences. Not necessarily mine.

                                             When I hear Din-Din, first thing that comes to my mind is fried
                                    Potatoes. Don’t blame me, I like food. So what does Din-Din mean?

                                        *laughs* When a child is genuinely happy and grateful, he/she shows
                                     uncontrollable joy. Sometimes he/she makes unintelligible sounds that
                                              tell the joy inside. Sometimes they go like din din din din din. So
                                            I’m going back to that child-like innocent gratitude. Sincerely
                                        grateful for where I am, No matter what I’m going through and telling
                                                  everyone to do the same. So we all go like din din din din.

                                            Like, what if Music fails you, what would you do? Or you got
                                                           something you do on the side?

                                         Music won’t fail me. But all the same, I’ve learnt to invest. I won’t
                                                   wanna tell everyone my back-up plans, would I? *laughs*
                                What inspires your lyrics. Especially songs like ‘I no dey shame’ and
                               ‘Overkillin’. They sort of sound like they were personal experiences.
                                         For I no dey shame, I was trying to sing about unconditional love.
                                      I’ve had friends strung on drugs and fighting their various evils. I’m
                                     just saying we should love them anyway. As for overkillin, that was
                                    really personal. I don’t tell people lies in my music. I want everyone
                                         to know that I have fallen many times, made bad decisions but I’ve
                                                            always risen again and again.

                                        It took him like 4 years since he started professionally, for you him to
                                            drop his self-titled album in 2009. 

                                              He released Ego and things went sour between me and the label I was
                                               signed with. So it was a shock doing things for myself since I was
                                             prepared and they were the ones supposed to be helping. So I stuck to
                                            releasing singles every 2yrs or so. But now I’m very prepared. I’ve
                                                      been recording since 2009. So my fans will not be starved of my music
                                                             again.

                                                                When’s the next album dropping?
                                                                      Hopefully, second quarter 2012.

by edward fortune eddie4tune@gmail.com



No comments: