Nigerian UK-based freelance makeup artist Joy Adenuga recently made history when her work was published inPhotoVogue. This is one beautiful, intelligent and industrious young lady who knows her onions when it comes to makeup artistry. In the interview that follows shortly, Mrs. Adenuga shares her thoughts on how her passion started, her recent work on PhotoVogue, her role model and why she would love to make up A-list Nollywood actress Genevieve Nnaji someday. Read on…
One of her published works on FaceON Magazine
THE (FASHION) INDUSTRY IS FRAUGHT WITH SEETHING CHALLENGES. DESPITE THE ODDS, YOU HAVE MADE IT EXCEEDINGLY WELL AS A MAKEUP ARTIST. COULD YOU SHARE WITH US HOW YOUR PASSION STARTED? 
JOY: I’ve always dabbled in makeup from an early age but it wasn’t until after my wedding I decided to take it serious and enrol in a Makeup school. I thank God for my husband’s encouragement as he could see my passion.
WHAT IS YOUR TAKE ON THE NIGERIAN FASHION INDUSTRY IN THE UK?
JOY: Really booming and I feel so proud to see how well we are growing.
WE’VE SEEN FEW OF YOUR WORKS IN TOPNOTCH BRITISH EDITORIALS. CAN YOU ENUMERATE ANY NOTABLE JOB DONE THIS YEAR?
One of Joy Adenuga’s work on the cover of FaceON Magazine – Spring/Summer Issue9 feature; Photography by: Kristina Vassilieva
JOY: Getting the Cover of Luxury International Magazine – FACEON Magazine; my work appearing on PhotoVogue; and eight pages in French luxury magazine – Factice Magazine.
TALKING OF PHOTO VOGUE, HOW DOES IT FEEL HAVING YOUR WORK INTERNATIONALLY ACCLAIMED?
IMAGE CREDIT: PHOTOVOGUE
JOY: Amazing!!! I  feel all the hardwork I’ve put into my passion is paying off.
WHICH MAKEUP ARTIST WOULD YOU REGARD AS A ROLE MODEL?
JOY: Definitely it has to be Pat McGrath!
For PRIDE Magazine
FOR YOUNG LADIES OUT THERE WHO WANT TO CARVE A NICHE IN MAKEUP ARTISTRY, WHAT ADVICE DO YOU HAVE FOR THEM?
JOY: Practice and cultivate your skills first. Makeup on yourself is different when working on someone else.
MOVING ON TO PERSONAL TASTE, WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE BEAUTY PRODUCT?
JOY: I love using luminizing products as I love a good luminous and glowing skin. My current  favourite  is Mac Cosmetics Lustre drops!
ANY FAVOURITE FRAGRANCE?
JOY: Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel.
ANY FAVOURITE STYLE ACCESSORY?
JOY: I love beautiful  chunky jewellery. An amazing statement neckpiece can give an outfit an expensive look.
ON A FINAL NOTE, IF YOU WERE TO MAKE UP ONE NOLLYWOOD CELEBRITY FOR A RED CARPET EVENT, WHO WOULD THAT BE AND WHY?
JOY: Genevieve Nnaji! She loves her natural shades and I’d love to work some colours into her routine.
With such an impressive portfolio, several other editorials and nominations (she recently got nominated for a BEFTTA) to her credit, Essex-based Joy Adenuga is one makeup artist to watch out for in 2013! To view more of her scintillating published editorials, visit her website.
Without going round in circles, we present you our fashion PERSONALITY OF THE WEEK, the cerebral makeup artist, Joy Adenuga!
IMAGE CREDITS:
Joy Adenuga
Kristina Vassilieva
FaceOn Magazine
PhotoVogue
PRIDE Magazine