Thursday 13 September 2012

Getting To Know Weza


!



Find out why we think Weza Solange is a pretty big deal
Weza Solange captivated audiences on Big Brother 6 with her sexy Angolan looks and accent – and she continues to captivate in her role on telenovella Inkaba. We caught up with the exotic beauty recently to chat about her life and future plans.
What was your childhood like in Angola?
My childhood was pretty hectic because it was during the civil war. My father was the commander of police in Angola, so bodyguards always followed me around. And then I moved to Portugal, where my childhood kind of stabilised because nobody knew who I was or who my dad was.
What’s it like living in SA?
I’ve been in South Africa for quite a while now. I finished high school and University here, so it feels like my second home. I didn’t really know what to expect at first, especially with the different view the whole world had of South Africa. And adjusting to the language and different culture was a bit difficult, but I adjusted well and people were very welcoming.
If you had to sum up your experience on Big Brother in one word – what would it be?
Insane!
Do you think being in the Big Brother house gave you some acting experience for Inkaba?
In a way it did. Big Brother is a game, so in the beginning you kind of have to play different characters to figure everybody out. It was a little training exercise without me even knowing it. Today I use a lot of the techniques that I used in the house, especially because my character changes personalities so quickly.
How are you enjoying working on Inkaba?
I love it. I was looking for a challenge after Big Brother and kept saying that I want to act. Then one day I got a call from my agent – and it’s been great. I can see myself growing as an actress. In the beginning it was really bad! I would cringe when I watched myself. I’m working with great people like John Kani, Nakedi, and Dumisani and I’ve been learning a lot.
Your character, Fumi, has helped Inkaba reach a bigger African audience, including Angola. Was that a big deal for you?
Yes! I think it’s the accent, because she’s a foreigner they can identify with her. It makes me feel very proud and humbled that on my first acting job I’m already getting these kinds of reviews.
What can we expect from you in the upcoming years? Any big plans?
Definitely. I can’t stay tied to one place for too long. So I’m concentrating on acting, I’ve been invited to pilot for TV shows. I definitely want to do a movie, but I need more experience for that, so I’m going to get an acting coach. I’m also working on my brand – so you can expect a lot of brand endorsements coming up. This year is looking very exciting, and next year even better. I want to take on the rest of Africa!

No comments: